Springfield, Oregon – A social services employee discovered an infant in a severe condition in an Oregon hotel room this week after his mother overdosed a few days earlier, according to authorities.
The 6-month-old boy was almost completely unresponsive when he was found. Police were also sent to the hotel in Springfield on Monday to conduct a welfare check.
The infant was transported to a hospital in Portland for treatment. It was said that the infant was suffering from extreme dehydration, severe diaper rash, and malnutrition.
The mother of the infant, aged 28, was discovered dead next to the boy. An initial investigation showed the mother died four days before the boy was found by the Department of Human Services worker of an apparent heroin overdose.
Hospital officials said the boy is expected to recover soon since his condition has improved significantly after receiving treatment.