
Indiana – In a horrific Indiana case that has drawn national outrage, a 29-year-old father, identified as Franklin E., has now been sentenced to 65 years in prison for the killing of his 6-year-old son after admitting he fatally beat the child during what he and his 27-year-old wife, identified as Cheyenne E., tried to call “discipline.” His sentencing marks a major development in a tragedy that began with claims the little boy injured himself and ended with prosecutors exposing a long pattern of severe abuse.
Franklin, who pleaded guilty to murder in October, appeared in court for sentencing, where he asked the judge for leniency. According to reports, Franklin told the court, “I want to come out as a better man. Different man. That’s all I can do.” The judge rejected his plea for mercy, responding bluntly, “You literally beat your son to death.” Franklin received a total sentence of 65 years in prison—55 years plus a 10‑year enhancement for aggravating factors. The 6-year-old victim died from devastating injuries, including a traumatic brain bleed and punctured lung. He was rushed to the hospital after the couple called 911 on August 3, claiming he had suddenly become unresponsive. But medical staff immediately ruled the boy’s injuries were not self-inflicted.
Franklin and Cheyenne were arrested on August 8 on murder charges. At first, Franklin insisted his son “hit himself” and had behavioral problems. But the forensic evidence, witness statements, and digital proof painted a drastically different picture. Investigators determined that on the night of August 3, Franklin “attacked” his son in his playroom after the boy struggled during what the couple claimed was punishment for his behavior. Prosecutors later revealed that on the very day the young boy fatally collapsed, he had been forced by the couple to run for 3.5 miles over roughly 90 minutes, a grueling physical punishment used often in the home.
Neighbors confirmed witnessing similar punishments before. They told police the boy often had to run, jump rope, hold weights, or perform intense exercises when he was “in trouble.” During the investigation, police recovered numerous photos from the couple’s phones showing the victim with visible bruises in different stages of healing—evidence of repeated mistreatment that contradicted the couple’s explanations. Both Franklin and Cheyenne also previously admitted they routinely punished the child through extreme disciplinary methods, including “whooping” him with belts or hands and forcing him to do rigorous physical exercises for extended periods.
The 6-year-old boy’s biological mother, M. McBride, who lives in Alabama, had repeatedly tried to alert Indiana’s Department of Child Services to concerns about her son’s welfare. She said the boy told her he went to bed hungry when he was “bad” and feared the punishments at home. McBride says she was told DCS could take no action because they did not observe visible injuries. After sentencing, she told reporters:
“I’m satisfied with it… I wish he’d have more, death row would be great. But most likely by the time he gets out, he’ll probably be dead anyways.”
While Franklin initially acted alone in court, Cheyenne has now changed her plea to guilty as well, after first pleading not guilty. She is scheduled to be sentenced January 13, 2026. Prosecutors maintain that she was not only aware of the ongoing abuse but also encouraged or directly participated in many of the punishments that left the 6-year-old boy emaciated, bruised, and terrified.
The boy’s death has renewed scrutiny of Indiana’s child welfare oversight, raising painful questions about whether warnings were overlooked and whether the system failed to protect a vulnerable little boy begging for help. With Franklin now sentenced to 65 years and Cheyenne awaiting her own sentencing hearing, the community continues to grieve a child who endured fear, starvation, and pain inside the one place he should have been safe—his own home.



